Saturday, April 27, 2013

Avengers Birthday Treats

Today we did part 2 of birthday celebration with grandparents. I spent several days making the little man’s birthday treats.

Of course, we had to have a cake. I was inspired by 2 different sites. For the inside of the cake: Crafting with Freckles. And for the outside of the cake: Big Fat Cook. However, the little man (and I) like chocolate. So, I decided that red velvet, blue velvet and white chocolate cake would be oh, so much better than plain white with food coloring. I got my velvet recipe from Divas Can Cook. For blue velvet, you just use blue food coloring instead of red. The white chocolate cake recipe came from Oleander+Palm. The velvet cakes were supremely moist and truly the best velvet I have had. The white chocolate cake was denser but a nice compliment to the velvet cakes. I used a chocolate buttercream for the outside and a stabilized whipped frosting for the middle. Buttercream in the middle may have been too overpowering.

Here is my creation:
Outside of the cake:
 
Inside of the cake:
 

So, normally this would be the extent of birthday dessert. However, I really wanted to learn how to “flood” a cookie. This was a good opportunity, as the Avengers theme was a good inspiration for sugar cookies. I learned how to flood cookies from Sweetopia's video. She has a very nice tutorial and recipe for royal icing. The sugar cookie recipe came from Foodfolio. I freehand cut the cookies (not having Avenger cookie cutters), but the inspiration came from mommyGAGA.

Here is my creation:
The little man insisted he had to have the Captain America cookie. J

No comments:

Post a Comment