Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Valentine's Day Heart Garland

The inspiration for this project came from Right Start Blog.
 
Since it is close to Valentine’s Day, the project was easily modified. To get the heart shapes, I folded one edge of my paper tube, using a butter knife (or you can use a bone folder) to get a nice straight edge. Then, I creased the top of the tube to get the heart shape. I cut 1” pieces. One paper towel tube gave me enough hearts, but it will depend on the size of garland you make.
 
I punched small holes at the top and bottom of each heart. Then, my little man painted them all red. If you are adventurous, like me, use acrylic paint for a nice coat. If you are not so adventurous, washable paint is fine but will need several coats.
 
Once paint is dried, cut standard pipe cleaners (chenille stems) in half. Make a small curl in the bottom and thread through holes. Make a loop at the top for hanging. Cut your ribbon to the length of your mantel (or however long you want your garland). I had my little man attach the hearts to the ribbon. And voila! A very simple but cute Valentine’s decoration.
 
This project lends to any color you desire. I chose a monochromatic design.
Here is our creation:

No comments:

Post a Comment