Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Salt Dough Halloween Figures

Halloween in January? I guess so. My son saw me searching through craft projects online, saw salt dough ghosts on All Free Crafts, and kept asking me to make some.
 

Salt dough is very versatile. You can make everything from ornaments, figures, to handprint/footprint keepsakes. The ideas are endless.
Tip: You can add paint to the mixture, but be aware that it fades tremendously. My suggestion is to paint when done instead.
 

Working with dough was great motor practice. I showed him how to squish, pinch, roll, and flatten. Then, I showed him how to make an eye with a toothpick, and he caught on pretty fast to make all of the features. We also used a small metal spatula for cutting and making lines.
 

I really thought that once I had the salt dough made that my son would forget about the ghosts he had seen. I was wrong. In fact, when he and I were done making a ghost a piece, he wanted pumpkins and a gate to go with them. He made some other figures, but I am posting the Halloween ones because they seemed to be a theme of his.

The ghosts and gates show what the dough looks like before being painted and before being completely dried. I painted the pumpkins, since the colored dough faded.
 

Here is our creation:
(My ghost is on the right.)
Side note: My son did love playing with the figures, too! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment